vendredi 10 janvier 2020

Sunrise on Mount Fuji

Fuji San - Bon An 2020
This year, to follow the tradition of the New Year's greeting card dear to printermakers, I could not avoid including a view of Mount Fuji that I had in front of me for 5 weeks.
This was also my first attempt of woodblock printing at home since the MI-Lab residency in Japan.
 This sunrise on Mount Fuji is a 3 blocks print, postcard size (15x10,5cm). The colors are japanese HansHolbein watercolors printed on Kochi paper.
 The first block is a vertical gradient (kata bokashi) from blue to yellow. I did only one pass.
 The second block is a new kata bokashi from left to right, from burnt sienna to dark purple.
The third block is a layer of shadow. A light purple bokashi that covers almost the entire volcano except the left ridge where the dawn sunlight comes from.
I must admit that the traditional text of the Japanese New Year is a stamp that I brought back from Tokyo.