mardi 26 avril 2022

Japan

I took a trip to Japan during the fall of 2019 and stayed for seven weeks visiting a few places in central Honshu and participating in a five-week artist residency in the Fuji area.

I visited a little of Kyoto, then I took a hike along the Nakasendo trail during five days. I had a stop in Matsumoto (Nagano prefecture) before entering the mountainous area of Kamikochi. I reached then Takayama in the Gifu prefecture.

 

This was the end of an itinerant first part. A bus took me to the Kawaguchi lake where I stayed five weeks studying japanese woodcut technique.

The location of the Mi-Lab was extraordinary clos to the mythical volcano. I couldn't avoid sketching it evry day.

 

The autumnal time is also particularly comfortable for the beauty of the red mapples leaves and the sweet weather.

Our teachers brought us to Tokyo for a busy weekend where we visited the specific suppliers stores.

I ended my trip by another few days stay in Tokyo befor catching my return flight.


I self-published a booklet from a selection of sketches from the two watercolor notebooks I filled out while there.

This printed booklet has 100 pages and is a limited edition of 100 copies.
You can order it on my Etsy store.