mardi 19 décembre 2023

Long Time No See

 

I hadn't been to the mountains in months, partly because my car wasn't working properly. Luckily I found a way to get there by train. I had planned a hike, starting from the station, towards a series of shepherds' huts just above the edge of the forest with a beautiful view of the snow-capped peaks.

The whole climb was in the shade and the cold, but from the edge of the forest, 800 m higher, I was able to enjoy both the warm rays of the sun and the breathtaking view all around.

I know these peaks having already climbed them, Pic de Tarbesou, Dent d'Orlu, Roc Blanc, Pic St Barthélémy. They are not the tallest but they can be seen and recognized from a long distance. And what's more, they have very interesting profiles to draw.

 

I was ready to draw as much as possible but I left out two things. First, the frost arrived very early, at 4 p.m. Second, I forgot to put alcohol in my water bottle.

The next day I drew the same mountains again and also spent a lot of time gazing at the peaks on the horizon. I guess I needed to contemplate more than to draw.